RESPECT: New Jack Swing
The New Jack Swing era in music doesn't get talked about enough, why, who knows but some of the best music came from that era, from 1988 to 1995 it was hit after hit with producers like Teddy Riley, Babyface and Bernard Belle playing a huge key role and additional help from Michael Bivins and Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. The new jack swing even introduced us to a class movie in 1992 titled New Jack City with a excellent soundtrack. The soundtrack included music from Queen Latifah, Troop, Levert, Guy, Keith Sweat and more, but the songs that struck out was the classic Christopher Williams 'I'm Dreaming' and Color Me Badd's "I Wanna Sex You Up". Alot of artist released some good music at the time and it had a great run, let's take a look at some various artists who made some pretty damn great songs that we still play today, especially in the summertime at your random BBQ.
• Troop - One of the most underrated R&B groups had some excellent songs in the 90s, from covering the Jackson's "All I Do", the hit record that really took off for them was "Spread My Wings", produced by Chuckii Booker who is another genius that Mae the hit record 'Games' in 1992, and even produced, performed and wrote The Crypt Jam for Tales From the Crypt.
• Today - There's really a minimum to say about this band but in 1990 the group had a hit record titled 'I Got The Feeling' that also ended up being featured in the 2004 video game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
• Guy - Teddy Riley, Aaron Hall, and Timmy Gatling, this was the time when people said Aaron Hall was R. Kelly before R. Kelly was R. Kelly, get it?, but yeah Guy was on top in the 90s, from bringing out key records like Groove Me, Teddy's Jam, I Like and Let's Chill then Aaron Hall takes off solo.
• Toni, Tony, Toné - This trio wrote and produced all of their music, and when you listen to Feels Good, Whatever You Want, It Never Rains (In Southern California) and Anniversary (the extended 9 minute cut) you're gonna know that these guys were wizards in the new jack era.
• New Edition - You can't leave out N.E., spawning hits out at the time like If It Isn't Love and Can You Stand The Rain, the group broke up for a brief moment and still released fire as solo acts, Johnny Gill took off with My, My, My and Ruby You The Right Way, Ralph Tresvant had a top 4 hit with Sensitivity and a record titled Money Can't Buy Me Love off the Mo Money soundtrack. BBD branched off with Poison and Bobby Brown was unstoppable with Don't Be Cruel then released his most underrated album in 1992 'Bobby'.
• Michael Jackson - The GOAT, I'm keeping this short and simple cause you should already know, the Dangerous album (most successful new jack swing album ever), Remember The Time, Jam, Who Is It, hit records.
• Portrait - Their biggest song was Here We Go, due to the sampling of Michael Jackson's "I Can't Help It".
• Babyface - The man is one of the masterminds of the new jack era, from producing starting off in the Deele, going solo, then doing music for TLC, Toni Braxton, After 7, everybody! He's one of the greatest songwriters ever.
There's so many more artist that's part of the new jack swing the list goes on and on, like i said, new jack music is perfect for the summer and you can play all of it at the family BBQ or if you wanna take a late night drive with the windows down, you can go on YouTube right now and see multiple playlists made of songs from that era, Montell Jordan's This Is How We Do It is timeless, Horace Brown's One for the Money is timeless, while we have 2 months of summer left so let's take it back and play new jack swing music every Friday and Saturday until the 60 and below weather creep up on us.