Calling NYC, D.C. & Philly: The Apollo Theater Amateur Night Auditions
The Legendary Apollo Theater To Hold Amateur Night Auditions In New York, Philadelphia and Washington, DC For 2017
Earlier this summer, The Apollo hosted auditions in New Orleans for the first time followed by an online talent search as part of a new initiative under the Amateur Night umbrella called Making A Star (the special edition Amateur Night: Making A Star showcase with the winners from those auditions will be held on September 21st at the Apollo). Now the Apollo is hitting Philly and DC looking for the best talent. In preparation for 2017, the Apollo will hold auditions in Philly, NYC and DC starting September 17th in Philly. The Apollo has discovered some of the greatest singers, rappers, and artist that we have ever known, and now it’s your chance to be seen, heard and discovered.
The Apollo will host Amateur Night auditions in New York as well as in Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. this fall. The big news for anyone trying out for the 2017 season is that the new Grand Prize for the Super Top Dog Season winner at the end of the Season is $20,000! Auditions are always a fun way to get the first glimpse of the talent vying for a coveted slot to compete for a chance to perform on the Apollo stage. Some performers who come are out are phenomenal and some not so much. Each site’s auditions begin at 10 am and will only see the first 200 acts so people normally start lining up the night before.
Here are some things to know, children ages 5 to 17 will be considered for the “Child Stars of Tomorrow” segment. For those competing in the adult category, you must be 18 years and older to compete in the adult category. An adult MUST accompany children under 18. For a complete list of audition guidelines and rules, visit apollotheater.org. For Amateur Night auditions, judges will only see the first 250 acts if time permits, so please arrive early. Here are the sites, times and cities:
Auditions for Amateur Night are as follows:
September 17th in Philadelphia (10am- 6pm)
Location: Kimmel Center
300 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
September 24th in NYC (10am-6pm)
Location: Apollo Theater
253 West 125th Street
New York, NY 10027
October 1st in Washington, D.C. (10am- 6pm)
Location: Cramton Auditorium - Howard University
2455 6th St NW
Washington, DC 20059
The Apollo Amateur Night isn’t a free for all event, you better come correct and show and prove, peep the rules, don’t say anyone didn’t tell you.
- An Amateur is anyone who has not had a recording, Film or TV contract with a major studio.
- NO profanity, including any racial epithets or slurs all material must be appropriate for a family show.
- NO lip-synching, singing along with track vocals or post-production engineering of vocals is permitted.
- The audition is open to singers, dancers, comedians, spoken word artists and musicians and other variety performances.
- Each live contestant will have up to 90 seconds to perform.
- Singers can bring a track on cassette or CD or sing a cappella. A band is NOT available.
- Musicians must bring their own instruments.
- Dancers should bring a CD.
- Do NOT bring CD’s in CD-RW format.