T.G.I.F. (Thank Griddy It's Friday) Vol. 3 by Nets Superfan @griddy
I predicted last Friday that we would exit the weekend 1-1 with a win Sacramento and an ass whooping on Sunday in Oakland against the Warriors. I was wrong. We lost both games and to my surprise, we almost snuck out of Golden State with a victory… If Joe Johnson would have showed up offensively, the game was ours. If we had fouled Iguodala when we were up 3 with 10 seconds remaining, we more than likely would have won. Instead we played it out and of course, Iguodala made the shot to tie the game. IF BROOK LOPEZ WOULD’VE MADE A SHOT FROM POINT BLANK RANGE AFTER A BEAUTIFULLY PLACED IN BOUND PASS FROM JOE JOHNSON WAS DELIVERED TO BEAT THE BUZZER… WE. WOULD. HAVE. WON. But, you know what they say about “ifs”...
After all the good things I had to say about Brook Lopez last week, he allowed Demarcus Cousins to give him 19 straight points in the third quarter of Saturday’s game. In my opinion, he allowed Cousins to intimidate him, which led to Cousins having his way the whole second half. Could Lionel have done something to help guard Cousins as a team? Absolutely. However, Lopez needs to MAN UP. He should’ve been just as physical with Cousins as DMC was with him. He had Cousins completely out of his game in the entire first half. I knew Cousins would do something eventually to try to get over the slump. He did just that. By being a little extra with Lopez and staying aggressive, he willed his team to a 111-109 victory. Also allowing Rondo to drop a solid 23 on 10 of 19 shooting with a triple double to go along did not help. Joe Johnson’s offense, once again was nowhere to be found. He’s doing a decent job facilitating and I credit him for that but that’s not exactly what we need of him.
I haven’t been showing enough love to my guy Thaddeus Young. Thad gets the job done. At times he enters the game the smaller guy at the Power Forward position but he still brings it. That unorthodox floater is almost a guarantee 2 points when he flips it up. I hated Antawn Jamison’s game but his floaters remind me a lot of Jamison’s. In the Golden State game on Sunday, Thaddeus put up 20 first half points keeping us in the game. He’s slowly becoming my favorite Net right now. Jarret Jack also had a great game finishing with a solid 28 points and 9 assists. He had a good game out in SacTown as well dropping 21 points and 12 assists. Shout out to him for that. I know I get out Jack for his superstar mentality but I also give props when it’s due. In a back and forth game with the Warriors, it came down to the Nets having the ball with .05 seconds on the clock and a chance to win the game. And as mentioned before, Brook Lopez failed to score on a perfectly designed alley for him at the basket. Patrick Ewing had to be somewhere smiling after seeing that play. We were forced into overtime with the Warriors and the results of that were completely as expected. I sat and stared at the TV the from tip-off of OT in disgust.
Another game blown against the Hornets on Wednesday. This team should be 6-6 today and instead they are sitting at 2-9. Thad Young continues to be great night in and night out. We are just having a difficult time closing out games. Reasons are
- Joe Johnson isn’t any help.
- Brook Lopez still doesn’t know how to conduct himself as the leader and #1 option of a team.
- Uncle Lionel Hollins’ substitutions are baffling at times.
- We need a shooting guard ASAP!!!!!
- This team isn’t as bad as the record shows. As I mentioned before, we could easily be 6-6, if not better if we had the personnel to close out games. I’m begging Billy King to get bring Brooklyn a shooting guard for Xmas if he wants this team to make the playoffs. Then after that, I’m begging that he kindly removes himself from the GM position. There is no reason why I should be watching Bargnani let everyone and their mother drive into the paint untouched. We already have a polite Center in Brook Lopez, there is NO room for another one in Bargnani. I can’t wait to see what the young whooper snapper Chris McCullough can do on the court. Kid looks like he can be molded into a very good player. Time will tell…
Tonight is the first game of a home and home against the team that owns our current first round pick. If we allow them to sweep us this weekend, I don’t know what I might do. First things first, get a win TONIGHT… PLEASE!